Monday, August 9, 2010
ITSY BITSY SPIDER Energizing Brain Break for Students
You know the old rhyme that goes "The itsy bitsy spider went up the water spout..."
1. Stand up.
2. Put your hands out in front of you.
3. Take your right hand thumb and touch it to your left hand index finger.
4. Now take your right hand index finger and touch it to your left hand thumb.
5. Rotate both hands to move upward so that you can now reach your right hand thumb to your left hand index finger. Then keep rotating your fingers and thumbs so that you are "walking up the water spout"
6. Now do this behind your back. Try going "down the spout" as well.
7. Once you've mastered this, then do the same process with your index finger and your pinkie. This is tough.
I have not done this one yet with my students, so once I have, I will video-tape it and post it.
There is a Brain Break Book available. It has 50 activities that incorporate movement, crossing the mid-line, and brain challenges. Click here for more information. Also, 50% of the profits from this book go to great causes like building schools in Angola or also giving away books to underprivileged schools.